WIKI REFRESH Ilieni (Hungarian:
Illyefalva, German: Ilgendorf) is a village located
in Covasna County, south-eastern Transylvania, 7 km south of Sfântu
Gheorghe (Hungarian: Sepsiszentgyörgy).
The number of inhabitants is 1853 according
to the 2002 census. Ethnic breakdown:
- Hungarian: 1610
- Romanian: 237
- German: 6
There is archaeological evidence of the area having been populated
since the Bronze Age. The place was first time mentioned in a church
tax inventory as "Villa Helye" in 1332. In the Middle Ages, having the
rights of a market town, the settlement was more important than today.
The abundance of arable lands in the area (within the historical
Háromszék region), and trade relations with nearby Saxon settlements,
including Braşov, contributed to the sound economic basis of the
Also resulting from its geographical location, the
Székely settlement, during its history, was often subject to foreign
military campaigns. The most tragical of these attacks was in 1658,
when the fortified church of the village was successfully conquered by
allied Turkish and Moldavian forces, who killed all the defending
fighters and threw their bodies into the well of the stronghold.
Surviving villagers were taken to custody.
Since the fall of
communism in 1989, the local community has been successful in
developing viable economic activities, mostly based on agriculture and
food industry, but a conference centre, a youth hostel and guest
houses in the area also contribute to the revival of the
The time when the
church was built is not recorded. It was rebuilt in the 15th century
in Gothic style, later Renaissance and Baroque renovations were made.
Following a series of Tatar, Saxon and Turkish attacks the church was
gradually fortified during the 15th-17th centuries. Smaller-scale
earthquakes in the region also made regular renovations necessary. One
of the strongest quaqes recorded in 1802 seriously damaged the
building and its painted wooden ceiling. The church building was
renovated in the 1990s.
Communes and villages in TransylvaniaCovasna County