Marghita (Hungarian: Margitta) is a city in Bihor County, Romania.
In 1376 king Ludovic of Hungary gave to Marghita the right of organizing a fair and it developed in the next centuries as a market town. There were several peasant revolts against the feudal system affecting Marghita in 1467 and 1514. At the beginning of the 14th century, it became, together with the whole of Bihor county and Hungary, an Ottoman province.
In 1823, a great fire destroyed half of the buildings of Marghita. After the 1848 revolution, the local peasants were no longer serfs and manufacturing and industry began to develop.
After one millenia of beeing part of Hungary, Marghita and Transylvania was given to Romania in 1920. Between 1940 and 1944, it was returned to Hungary, when about 1,700 Jews of Marghita were sent to concentration camps. On 20 October 1944, the Romanian Army occupied again Marghita. After 1947 with the Soviets imposing a Communist government in Romania, factories and land were nationalized. Over the course of the next few years, Marghita took part in the Romanian industrialization process.
Ethnically, it is comprised of: