- Sfântu Gheorghe is also a town in
the Danube Delta, Tulcea County.
<!-- Image with
unknown copyright status removed: -->Sfântu
) is a city in central Romania in Transylvania
on the Olt River. It is located in a valley between the Baraolt and
Bodoc mountains. Sfântu Gheorghe is the capital of Covasna county. It
has 60,900 inhabitants (2004), most of whom are Hungarian. There are
also approximately 5,000 Roma.
Gheorghe is one of the oldest cities in Transylvania, as settlement
was first documented there in 1332. The city's name is derived from
the patron saint of a local church, Saint George. It was an economic
and administrative center for the Hungarian county Háromszék, now
Covasna and Braşov counties. In the second half of the 19th century,
Sfântu Gheorghe developed both a textile and a cigarette factory.
Sfântu Gheorghe is a center for the Szeklers in the cultural region
known as Székelyföld, and is home to the Székely National Museum. The
city hosts two market fairs each year.
- Fortified Church (Romanian: Biserică Fortificată; Hungarian:
Vártemplom)- constructed in the 14th century in the Gothic style
- State Archive, the former headquarters of the Hussar
- City library constructed in 1832 as the seat of
the county council
- Theater used from 1854-1866 as the town
- The market bazaar built in 1868, with a clock tower
built in 1893
Municipalities in RomaniaCovasna County